Responsibility for the supply side of Uber’s business, pitching transportation partners on working with Uber, managing capacity and quality of supply. Analytical type (ex-bankers and consultants are common) looking for ownership and to make an impact with their work. 2-6+ years experience.
- Uber is a technology company. We make a smartphone app that provides users with an on-demand, private car service to take them safely and smoothly to where they need to go, in over 40 major cities around the world — at the push of a button.
- Our revenues have grown more than 10-fold in just the past year, and they’ve accelerated with the launch of Uber in seven new cities over the past two months.
- On another level, Uber is about applying mobile technology, data-driven decision making, and world-class operations teams to solve a massive, offline problem: urban transport.
- These are early days. Come join us, and help us build a new fabric for urban logistics that is redefining the way people experience and get around a city.
ABOUT THE JOB
Uber is a marketplace, and our Operations & Logistics managers own the entire “supply” side of that marketplace in their city – they optimize the quantity and quality of cars available to our users, and continually improve the rider experience via scheduling, asset utilization, and driver incentive programs.
In practice this requires a unique mix of analytical and interpersonal skills; an ability to use our data to quickly understand trends in supply and user demand, combined with an ability to motivate and incent our partners to behave in ways that take advantage of those insights. Highly refined people skills, as well as toughness, persistence and grit, are required to ensure capacity, while providing the quality of service we demand for our users. This is an intense, business-side startup role which has a clear and direct, impact on the growth of our business.
WHAT YOU NEED
- Language – The ability to speak, read and write Mandarin fluently is a must. The ability to also speak Cantonese is preferred.
- Analytical ability – We take an intensely data-driven approach to running our business. In order to efficiently manage the supply of cars we have on the road, you need to be able to constantly monitor and understand trends in supply and demand, and use our data to make the right, data-driven operational decisions.
- Business instincts – Inherently curious by nature, you enjoy thinking about what makes different businesses tick. You’d be excited to master Uber’s business model, and would doggedly pursue making that model flourish in your city.
- Drive and hustle – Operations & Logistics managers are responsible for continually sourcing, signing up, onboarding and motivating the fleet of drivers who are our partners in a city. This requires extreme resourcefulness, and the ability to sell Uber as a partner and platform. Operations Managers also constantly monitor the fleet of cars on the road at any given point in time, optimizing the quantity of cars, guiding their physical location across the city, based on user demand, and ensuring the highest levels of service. This requires the constant focus and the highest levels of dedication.
- People skills – You’ll need truly world-class people skills to be able to influence partners to drive at times, in places, and in ways that ensure a world-class experience for our users. Depending on the conversation, you’ll need to be able to charm or cajole our partners accordingly.
- Travel like a diplomat: employees get tons of free Uber credits!
- Ground floor opportunity: build a big business from scratch in your city, and shape the strategic direction of the market
- Make a difference: we’re not just another social web app: we’re moving real people/assets and changing transportation for the future
- We have access to an amazing list of advisors and investors that we actively engage